Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sweet, simple and dangerously easy!




















A little taken aback by how easy these little pieces of delight were to make!

From the few websites that I could find in English that described these biscuits, I found that they were supposed to be soft and chewy and that’s exactly how they turned out.

Now for a few words about the ingredients….

I spent a bit of time in a local food store deciding which type of Scottish oats to go with. They need to be rolled oats but this shop had ‘Jumbo Rolled Oats’ as well as Porridge oats (which are also rolled but a little finer). I bought the Jumbo Oats as I thought they would add a bit more texture to biscuits and it proved right. I have no idea which oats would be more traditional in Estonia but I’m sure that any type of rolled oat will do just fine.

In Irish and UK recipes, unless stated, butter is usually implied to be salted. Again, I was not sure what was typical in Estonia so I made them with slightly salted butter. I reckon unsalted or slightly salted is the best butter for these biscuits.

The eggs I used were medium, organic, and free range. I ended up using all 300 grams of the oats, so perhaps if you use large eggs, you may need more oats. I do always buy free range eggs and when possible organic because I have found that free range/organic eggs produce better results.

The sugar I used was Caster Sugar. I did this to avoid a grainy sugary biscuit. It mixed perfectly with the eggs with a slightly fluffy result.

In total the recipe yielded exactly 20 delicious biscuits (several were eaten before I managed to take a photo). 8-10 minutes was just right for my oven, they should look slightly golden brown when they’re done.

The whole batch took less than an hour to make from start to finish including washing up, so will definitely be making these again next time I want to whip up a quick batch of bakery goods!

3 down, 24 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment