Friday, April 16, 2010

Pastry or Politics?














Today I’m cooking Cyprus’ Baklava, in fact it’s already in the oven!

In trying to find an authentic recipe for Cypriot Baklava, I came across too many debates as to the origin of this sweet and not enough cooking of it. I’ve decided to make a fairly basic recipe, mostly consisting of pistachio nuts and omitting the ever tempting rosewater or orange blossom which some chefs add as it doesn’t seem to be absolutely authentic. It would appear that sprinkling the Baklava with more chopped pistachios after it is made is custom in Cyprus so I’ve reserved enough pistachios to do just that.

Baklava as it turns out is not so difficult to assemble (I shouldn’t speak too soon as it’s still in the oven), but I believe there is a fine art to getting a perfect consistency which is not too oily or syrupy…

The first time I remember trying good Baklava was in the Prahran Market in Melbourne. The deli owner assured me that it would be the best Baklava I had ever tasted and boy was he right! It was so light and dreamy, unlike some of the sticky, greasy muck that I had tried before. How will my attempt turn out?!? We’ll just have to wait and see. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment