Monday, April 19, 2010

Another one bites the dust!

















Finally, after the disastrous Baklava, I can strike another recipe off the list!

The Mliako S Oriz was a great success, and a perfect midnight snack. I adapted the recipe from the pamphlet I have of recipes from the Sweet Europe initiative. This is a very sweet pudding, sweeter than the rice pudding my Mum used to make for me when I was a kid, so I would probable use about 50g less sugar next time. That said, this quick, simple recipe is very delicious and the cinnamon makes a lovely contrast. I used long grain rice but I think short grain rice would give an even nicer texture. To use Basmati rice would be a big mistake. Please don’t be tempted to substitute with this, it’ll taste funny.

Here’s how I made it;

• 300g Rice
• Water to boil it in
• 1 Litre Milk
• 200g Sugar
• Powdered Cinnamon

- Boil the rice in water until just tender and strain.
- Bring the milk to the boil and then add the cooked rice
- Stir in the sugar
- Bring the mixture back up to the boil and then let it simmer
- Continue stirring the rice on a medium to low heat, until a lot of the milk has absorbed
- Serve in bowls with a sprinkling of cinnamon

It’s really very easy to make and you will usually have the ingredients lying about the kitchen. Remember to keep stirring the pudding so it doesn’t stick, and don’t let it boil.

4 (finally) down, 23 to go!

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting blog ! truly great !

    ReplyDelete