Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Let’s all go to Estonia!!















Alright, I took a bit of a break there over the weekend. This baking thing is a lot of fun but it is taking its toll on our bodies - Cavities, Kilos and Sugar rushes!!!

I’m ready to get back on track and today we’re going to Estonia!

Estonia’s Kaerahelbeküpsised are essentially an Oatmeal Biscuit. Scotland is famed for its Oats so let’s see if they make a tasty treat…

Finding a recipe for these biscuits has been rather difficult. I have a leaflet given out by the EU with a recipe for each sweet so I’m going to use the recipe from there. Without that document, this project probably wouldn’t be possible as some of these recipes are very difficult to find. However, it only gives a very basic description on how to construct these sweets, so it will play a very small role in attempting the dreaded Sakotis!!!

It seems that there are numerous types of Kaerahelbeküpsised - Chocolate, Fruit etc. I’m going to make a plain Oatmeal and Sugar as per the recipe on my leaflet…

The recipe is as follows:

· 2 Eggs
· 100g Sugar
· 100g Butter
· 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
· 250-300g Oatmeal

- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Melt butter.
- Beat the Eggs and Sugar together in a bowl.
- Add slightly cooled melted butter to the eggs and sugar.
- Add Vanilla and Oatmeal to the mixture, stir well.
- I’m assuming here, that the mixture should resemble a sticky flapjack-type mixture. Add 250 g of oats, and if it needs more keep going but don’t go past 300g.
- With a teaspoon, take a heaped spoonful of the mixture and shape small, round, flat biscuits with it on the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack.

Let’s go!!

1 comment:

  1. I made these too, I didn't let the butter melt ebough, I think that was my flaw, cause they don't look great but tasty all the same.
    http://su.pr/1s8YHD

    ReplyDelete